“After dad died, Mom was left in the two-story, three-bedroom house where we grew up, all alone. She doesn’t want to move – she’s lived there since the 1960s – but the house is really getting to be too much for her to take care of.
“When I go home, I notice things. Like the water coming out of the bathroom faucet was barely a trickle. When I asked her how long it had been like that, she didn’t even realize something was wrong. I fixed it, but I wonder how many other little things are going unnoticed and untended.
“I wish I could go home more often and help her, but I live almost three hours away and I work full-time. It’s hard to get there. But I worry about her constantly.”
All across America, 40-, 50-, and 60-somethings are facing the challenge of aging parents who want to remain independent, in their own homes, for as long as possible but who are having a hard time keeping up with the burden of living alone and maintaining a home.
The Choices Personal Lifestyle Management program is here to help. This innovative new service facilitates aging in place by helping seniors take care of all the little details that make life pleasant. Choices Personal Lifestyle Management is not a home health service. It’s a personal assistant service.
“The Choices program is designed to help clients with non-medical, non-covered needs maintain their independence, remain at home, enjoy an excellent quality of life, and be an active member of the community,” said Carol Sauer, Choices founder and CEO.
“I developed Choices because I realized how much time people in their 40s, 50s and 60s spend taking care of the day-to-day needs of aging parents. They don’t complain, but they often express sadness that their visits home are so task-oriented. They long to spend that time in deeper and more meaningful ways,” Sauer said.
Services available through the Choices program include help with shopping, addressing Christmas cards, catering family meals, driving, housework, holiday decorating … and more. What can the Choices Personal Lifestyle Management program do for you – or your loved one – this fall? We can:
• Clean up the flower beds and plant bulbs for the spring.
• Rake leaves and bag them for disposal.
• Decorate inside and out for Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas.
• Help you pass out candy to trick-or-treaters.
• Cook a big family dinner in your home. We’ll take care of the shopping, meal prep, serving, and clean up while you relax and enjoy time with your family.
• Take down screens and put in storm windows.
• Remove window air conditioners, clean them, and put them away.
• Clean and stow your patio furniture, barbecue grills and other outdoor items.
• Clean out your gutters, touch up exterior paint, close vents on crawl spaces.
• Caulk around windows and doors to cut down on drafts.
• Prune trees and bushes.
• Replace porch lights that may have burned out.
• Tighten porch rails.
• Clean up and put out bird feeders.
• Replace your furnace filter.
• Change batteries in your smoke and CO2 detectors.
• Hang curtains.
• Cover your central air conditioning unit to protect it from winter.
• Clean out your gutters and downspouts.
• Take you shopping for Christmas gifts.
• Launder and store your summer clothes, get your winter gear ready to go.
• Take unneeded, unused clothing, coats, etc. to your favorite charity for donation.
• Remove hoses from outside faucets and drain them.
• Check your fire extinguishers.
• Help you clean out and organize your refrigerator or freezer.
• Shampoo carpets and upholstered furniture.
• Pet and house sitting.
In other words … just about anything that needs to be done around the home, the Choices Personal Lifestyle Management team can handle it!
Choices offers reliable, trustworthy and qualified assistance to clients of any age. For a free consultation with a Choices Lifestyle Consultant, please call 419-951-3007, or visit the Choices website at www.choicesplm.com.
Choices Lifestyle Consultant