Thanksgiving is a time when people of all ages gather to express their gratitude for the blessings in their lives: family, homes, faith, new jobs, promotions, personal accomplishments, the ability make a difference and help others.
Most – if not all – families have cherished Thanksgiving traditions: Mom cooks a big turkey, Aunt Christine brings the pies, and Cousin Pat brings his legendary stuffing! Thanksgiving can truly be one of the most wonderful celebrations of the year.
But it can also be a time of tremendous stress, as adult children witness first-hand the physical changes taking place with their parents and aging parents find themselves less able to “do” Thanksgiving as they did in their younger years.
Too often, the result is parents struggling and exhausted beyond their limits and adult children wondering what to do about Mom and Dad.
It doesn’t have to be that way. Mom can still put on the big feast; the home can be decorated in pumpkins and turkeys; and everyone can enjoy their time together with much less anxiety and stress. How? Choices Personal Lifestyle Management.
Choices is a different kind of home service organization. Specializing in helping clients with non-medical, non-covered needs, Choices is more like having a personal assistant at your disposal than a homecare aide.
“We recognize that there are a lot of things that people need help with, and not just the elderly,” said Carol Sauer, Choices founder and CEO. “As our lives have gotten busier, it’s become more and more difficult to get day-to-day tasks done, much less plan for and host a Thanksgiving gathering,” she said.
Choices can step in and help, making Thanksgiving, Christmas and even New Year’s that much more enjoyable for everyone. What can Choices do for you this Thanksgiving? A lot!
• Get the exterior of the home “company-ready:” Remove cobwebs, stow summer furniture, decorate.
• Guest rooms: Change sheets and blankets, freshen pillows, clean windows, blinds or curtains, vacuum/sweep and wash throw rugs. Check and replace light bulbs if needed. Set alarm clocks.
• Bathrooms: Scrub toilets and tubs, clean counters and sinks, wash/replace shower curtains, mop and polish floors, and ensure everything works properly. Freshen and stock the bath with essentials.
• Kitchen: Clean the fridge, defrost the freezer, clean the oven, scrub the floors, retrieve good china, silverware, bakeware, pots and pans from storage. Clean before use.
• Common areas: Vacuum and shampoo carpets, clean windows, remove cobwebs, clean ceiling fans and mini-blinds, dust, deadhead house plants, clean front door, damp mop baseboards.
• The meal: Help plan menu, shop for groceries and assist with food preparation. Wash china, polish silverware, iron tablecloths/napkins, decorate and set the table.
• Afterward: Clean up and store all items used in meal prep and serving. Return the home to order after the gathering. Change linens in guest bedrooms and do the laundry.
On the road?
If you’ll be traveling rather than hosting, Choices can with that, too! Choices lifestyle consultants will help you with packing, can provide transportation to the airport (and pickup), and will even keep an eye on your home while you’re gone. We also offer pet sitting … so if Miss Kitty can’t go, you know she’ll be healthy, happy cared for in her own home.
“The Choices team can help eliminate the stress of the holiday for everyone, young or old,” Sauer said, “and make life more enjoyable and easier all year long.”
Choices offers reliable, trustworthy and qualified assistance to clients of any age. For a free consultation with a Choices Lifestyle Consultant, please call 419-951-3007.