The Ashland Area YMCA is much more than a gym could EVER be. It’s a place where people from all walks of life, with all levels of abilities, varied interests, and divergent goals come together to form a community.
The YMCA has a gym (two in fact) But it isn’t a gym. Learn more about your Y, and how membership benefits you, your family, your community, and the future!
Q. What is the Y’s mission?
A. The YMCA’s mission is to put Christian principles into practice through programs that build a healthy spirit, mind and body for all.
Q. What is the Y’s cause?
A. At the Y, strengthening community is our cause. Every day, we work side-by-side with our neighbors to make sure that everyone, regardless of age, income or background, has the opportunity to learn and grow.
Q. Who is the Y?
A. The Y is the nation’s leading nonprofit committed to strengthening communities through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility.
• Youth Development – Nurturing the potential of every child and teen. Nine million youth are taking a greater interest in learning; making smarter life choices; and cultivating the values, skills and relationships that lead to positive behaviors, the pursuit of higher education and goal achievement.
• Healthy Living – Improving the nation’s health and well-being. Millions of adults and youth receive the support, guidance and resources needed to achieve better health and well-being.
• Social Responsibility – Giving back and providing support to our neighbors. Across the country, the Y helps people give back and assist their neighbors by offering them opportunities to volunteer, advocate and support programs that strengthen community.
Q. What role does the Y play in communities?
A. At the Y, we nurture the potential of children and teens, improve health and well-being and give back and support our neighbors. Because of the Y, millions of people living in thousands of communities are healthier, more self-confident and connected to one another.
Q. How much of an impact does the Y have?
A. The Y’s impact is huge! Nationally:
• 2,700 locations in 10,000 communities across the country;
• 21 million people (12 million adults and 9 million youth) of all ages, incomes, backgrounds and abilities come to the Y to learn, grow and thrive;
• More than 500,000 volunteers – kids, parents, individuals, and business and community leaders –are personally vested in strengthening their communities;
• 20,000 full time staff;
• 64 million households and 32 million children ages 14 and under live within three miles of a YMCA, while 1,518 YMCAs serve communities where the median family income is below the U.S. average.
Q. Is the Ashland Area YMCA owned by the national Y?
A. No. Each YMCA association is an independent, autonomous organization with its own governing board, professional staff and assets.
The Ashland Area YMCA, located at 3232 Old 13th Street, has been serving the Ashland area since 1897. For more than 120 years, the AAYMCA has been dedicated to providing the facilities, programs, and leadership that will emphasize development in the areas of spirit, mind, and body in a Christian environment. The AAYMCA stands strong on its core values of HONESTY, RESPECT, CARING, and RESPONSIBILITY. We share these values with our members through the use of our facilities and participation in our programs. Becoming active in the Ashland Area YMCA not only strengthens the community and its families but helps create a positive environment for our kids to grow and learn.
Q. What continues to attract so many people to the Y?
A. There is no other nonprofit quite like the Y. Because the Y is for everyone, we bring together kids, families, adults and communities like no other organization can.
Q. How can I get involved?
A. Join the Y and start taking advantage of all we have to offer. We also welcome volunteers to assist with coaching, mentoring and supporting our various programs and events. Call the Y at (606) 324-6191 or stop by to pick up an application.